Pages

Kilogram to Pound Conversion

I have a fancy bathroom scale that my husband got from his brother in Germany. Problem is it shows my weight in kilograms. Kilo's mean nothing to me, when I'm tracking my weight loss, I always think in pounds.

See the handy kilogram to pound calculator in the sidebar at the bottom of this page. You can enter in what you weigh in kilo's and it will convert it to pounds. Or vice versa, enter your pounds and it will instantly show your weight in kilos.

One kilogram is equal to 2.2045 pounds. To keep it simple when converting, I just remember it's a 1.0 to 2.2 ratio.

Update: There's another really quick way to convert what you weigh in pounds or kilograms with Google Search. If you weigh 200 pounds and want to know what this is in kilograms, just type in "200 pounds in kilograms" in Google search and the answer will pop up at the top of the page. Conversely, if you weigh 90 kilograms and want to know what that is in pounds, just type in "90 kilos to pounds". I found this neat trick at Pasta Queen's wonderful site.

So today I weigh 73.2 kilograms and that's 161 pounds. I don't know about others, but it seems my weight can fluctuate almost two punds on any given day depending on what time of the day I weigh myself. Not sure if this is a good sign. But it's why I always weigh myself first thing in the morning only, and usually only once a week.

If you are looking for a good quality digital bathroom scale, a very highly ranked and popular one right now is the Tanita BC533 Glass Innerscan Body Composition Monitor.

Here is one reader's review at Amazon:

For many years I used a digital scale that gave me a different readout each time I used it. I like to weigh daily but found that stepping up and down on the scale several times to get an average weight was frustrating. I thought that was the norm with scales until I started reading scale reviews and discovered that many people found the Tanita line to be accurate.

If they weighed several times in a row they got a consistent readout. They did not have to take an average as I did with my Health-O-Meter. As a treat to myself, for losing 10 pounds, I decided to purchase a Tanita and after doing some research opted for the Tanita BC533.


The Tanita BC533 is a state of the art scale that measures your weight (to two-tenths of a pound), body fat, visceral fat, bone mass, metabolic age and muscle mass. It is very simple to operate. You input your height, weight, average physical activity level and age. The Tanita will remember this information for up to four people so you only have to do it once, unless your information changes. (There is also a guest mode if a visitor wants to try it.) Once you have programmed the scale you toe tap your number, step on the platform and you will see your weight and body fat measurement. (Note - If you wear socks the body fat measurement will not work.) Then you can toe tap other buttons of your choice. A little figure gives you a visual cue as to what the buttons are. For example for muscle mass the figure is holding weights. For bone mass there is a tiny skeleton inside the figure. You decide which body composition features you wish to check.

You may for example want to check your bone mass once a month, or then again you may want to check it weekly. It's up to you. It's as simple as pressing the corresponding button, and takes only seconds.


Tanita includes a guide with the scale that explains exactly how the scale works. The scale is a bioimpedence device. A low level current (which you don't feel) passes through your body and the impedance or resistance level is used to calculate body composition. The booklet explains healthy ranges of body fat and also explains what body water percentage, visceral fat, etc. mean.